According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually connected to wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is one of the leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Longmont homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.
How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?
- Buy a CO detector for each room of your home. You can contact Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
- Existing CO detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance annually to ensure no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the onset of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its working life, consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a brand new energy efficient furnace.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.