Cooler months in Longmont are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a track record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring in the course of those months. To understand the safety of your home, arrange an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace may discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to stop it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not operating properly or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help find any troubling issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other out-of-place things that might compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its top efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 303-647-5749 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.