Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your home, being comfortable in your new room regardless of outdoor temperatures is key. However, they can present a unique challenge for comfort. This is because installing ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the higher load, since it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most reasonably priced options is to install a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Find out more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition can be a great fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, since they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient as they move heat to make your space more comfortable. In reality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for extra rebates and reduce your energy bills for years to come.
Another unique feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Because each room typically has an individual indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is very useful if you have a space with special temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Having a mini-split system is worth it for areas that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s wiser than installing ductwork and leaning on your present heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is expensive. Extending ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the precise figure will depend on your house, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become overwhelmed. When your existing heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This may overwork your system and make it wear out more quickly.
- Your comfort might decrease. As your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could decrease if your system is required to take care of a wider space. Your heating and cooling might be less powerful, and your energy bills might increase since the system needs to switch on more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you choose the proper size for your new space. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in huge energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or longer when properly serviced. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you pick the recommended model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 303-647-5749 now to request a free consultation and estimate.