When severe weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during threatening weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back outside, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Longmont, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Longmont or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 303-647-5749 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.