As autumn approaches, now is a good time to begin thinking about your residence’s carbon monoxide detectors. When heating season is underway, the Centers for Disease Control says the potential of carbon monoxide poisoning builds.
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that’s colorless, odorless and tasteless. It’s a product of combustion your gas furnace depends on to warm your house. When your heating is working as it should, the gas is safely pushed outside of your home. Breaks in your furnace’s heat exchanger or flue pipes can cause carbon monoxide to leak into your house, where prolonged exposure can be lethal.
Although carbon monoxide poisoning is avoidable, the CDC says at least 430 people in the U.S. are killed by it annually. And another approximately 50,000 people visit the ER due to related ailments, such as headaches, dizziness and vomiting.
The best ways you can help your loved ones is by setting up regular maintenance of all gas, oil, or wood burning appliances, such as your furnace and water heater, and using a carbon monoxide detector. From plug-in to smart carbon monoxide detectors, there’s a model available that matches for your home and budget.
Smart Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smart carbon monoxide detectors, like the Nest carbon monoxide detector, make it simple to stay on top of keeping your family safe. They’re frequently offered as dual-purpose carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and can usually be synced with other smart home devices via Wi-Fi.
Here are a few other advantages of installing them in your home:
- Alerts you that there’s a problem through voice notifications, as well as alerts on your phone.
- Pinpoints the problem area, such as the kitchen or basement.
- Can be shut off from your phone.
- Automatically checks its sensors and batteries and shares findings through a full report on your phone.
- Informs you of dying batteries with an alert on your phone, not a screeching chirp in the middle of the night.
- Lasts up to 10 years, depending on the brand.
The only issue with getting Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors is the cost. These detectors are typically much pricier than their plug-in or battery-powered counterparts. But they also offer many beneficial and worthy features you don’t find in a non-smart device.
When you’re installing a new device, it’s crucial to know where to place carbon monoxide detectors. The Environmental Protection Agency suggests putting a carbon monoxide detector around five feet above the floor or on the ceiling. This is due to the fact carbon monoxide can rise with heated air.
We advise installing a detector on each floor of your home, especially outside bedrooms. You’ll want to make sure the noise will wake you up.
Battery-Powered and Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Plug-in and battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors are the most economical. A couple of the most popular styles are Kidde carbon monoxide detectors and First Alert carbon monoxide detectors.
But they also have fewer features that don’t link with your phone or smart home devices. They generally have a digital display and test button, which you’ll have to remember to use.
The National Fire Protection Association encourages testing hardwired carbon monoxide alarms every month. Battery-powered detectors that don’t plug in ought to be tested weekly. If you’re concerned about how to test for carbon monoxide, it’s more or less straightforward. Depress the button to make sure your detector is running.
If your detector is hardwired, make sure to change the backup battery at least once a year. If it’s battery-powered, you’ll want to replace it once a month to bypass the irritating chirp in the middle of the night.
If you’re hearing a chirp or your carbon monoxide detector is beeping regularly, it usually means it has a low battery. Or, it’s reaching the end of its life. How long carbon monoxide detectors work depends on the brand you have. In general, it’s around 5–10 years, but make sure to check instructions from your specific manufacturer.
If you’re wondering why your carbon monoxide detector is beeping, it’s usually due to the fact it’s detected dangerous concentration of carbon monoxide. If your carbon monoxide detector is going off with continued, loud beeping, leave your residence as quickly as possible and call 911.
Now is an excellent time to ensure your carbon monoxide detector is running properly before heating season starts. If you need to schedule furnace maintenance or you’re interested in upgrading to smart carbon monoxide detectors, the Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can assist you. Contact us at 303-647-5749 today and we’ll help you find the perfect carbon monoxide detector for your house.