Every year over 20,000 people go to the hospital because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is put off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your home safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to verify the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a stove to heat your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned every year.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Service Experts will check to ensure your heating equipment is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 303-647-5749 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.