Carbon monoxide attaches to red blood cells, robbing oxygen from your body it needs to live. It blends with these cells over 200 times more easily than oxygen, resulting in a condition known as carboxyhemoglobin saturation.
Carbon monoxide, in place of oxygen, then gets carried to the vital organs through the bloodstream. To put it simply, carbon monoxide deprives your body of oxygen. Organs have to have oxygen; when they lack it, they begin to suffocate.
Your body requires a long time to get rid of carbon monoxide; however, it can be taken in much more quickly.